Etude House Play 101 Stick Contour Duo Review

February 27, 2017

Hi guys, today's post will be all about Etude House's Play 101 Stick Contour Duo!


I'm a huge fan of Etude House and I decided to review some of the Etude products that I've been loving as of late. I'm starting with the contour/highlight stick but I'm also posting about the Drawing Eye Brow pencil & the Color My Brows browcara (click here to read all about them!)


I'm a huge fan of contouring because it just gives your face so much dimension. I would really like to lose some weight so I can have more defined features, but in the meantime, contouring and highlighting are my best buds.


Before purchasing this, my go to contour product was Sleek Makeup's Face Contour Kit (read my review here!). It's a powder product and it works wonders for my face. The reason why I decided to get this Etude 101 stick was because I see a lot of beauty YouTubers use cream/stick products instead of powder. It seems so easy, like literally just drawing lines and buffing them out!

Without further ado, let's get started!



WHAT IS IT

So after Etude released their 101 eyeshadow/lip sticks, they released the Play 101 Sticks which are for lips, contour, highlighting and blush.


The Play 101 Stick Contour Duo caught my eye because it has two shades instead of one. The official site says that  its "A creamy contour duo that creates a look of authentic dimentionality of face."


It comes in two shades and I got shade #1.



WHERE TO BUY

The official Etude House store and website sells this for RM99, but I got mine for only RM44 at Althea.kr! Super cheap right?


PACKAGING

It comes packaged like most duo sticks (like NYX's, etc.).


You twist it to get the product out:



INGREDIENTS

Here's a full list of the ingredients:



TEXTURE & SWATCHES

As it says, the product is creamy and easy to spread out.


I actually hesitated for a long time on whether or not I should get this, only because the colour only came in two shades and the white highlight was kinda intimidating.



HOW TO USE

Here's Pony's demonstration of how you should use the stick:


I pretty much use it in the same way: contouring my nose, cheeks, jaw and chin, and highlighting my nose bridge, chin, forehead and cheekbokes:


I'm no pro and I actually think the forehead highlight should be applied horizontally and not vertically hahaha. (Ignore my newbie mistake)


As you can see below, this is how I used this to define my cheekbones. I really like how easy to use this product is. Basically you just draw and buff with a sponge.


One thing I noticed is that although the contour blends nicely even after a while, you have to be quick with the highlight shade. I made the mistake of leaving the drawn line on and not blending it quick enough, and it kinda set and didn't buff out quite as nice as the contour shade.

Here's how I do my nose contour:


I drew it like this to kinda how you guys how I usually map out my nose contour (basically just make it super straight haha). I recommend drawing the highlight, buffing, then drawing the contour on both sides. This way it's easier to blend out.


MY REVIEW & VERDICT

As I mentioned, it's super easy to apply and use. Another thing I like about the contour it's controllable and you won't have any trouble putting on too much. I sometimes have trouble with powder contour because I have a heavy hand. This one is very buildable.

That said, I also think that the final outcome is quite subtle. Here's how it looks like:


It's not super in your face and it looks very natural. My cheekbones don't look super defined, and some days I guess it's nice to tone it back a little. I'm still a fan of darker/more visible contour, but on days when I wanna be subtle, this is my go to product. All I really need is to look thin and to make my nose look straight, and this product does both nicely.

In terms of highlight, it's not super blinding, which is a pro and a con I guess. You can see it, but personally I'd prefer if it was brighter haha.



WILL I REPURCHASE

Definitely! One of my initial concerns was that it would run out very fast, but you only need very little to get the job done, so I'm guessing this product will last me for a while. 


And that was it for this review! I hope you guys found it helpful. Special thanks to my sis for helping with the drawings! 💕

 If you guys would like to read more product reviews, click here! If you guys would also like to check out the brow product reviews I mentioned earlier, click here!



As always, thanks for reading! See y'all in the next post 💕

Post a Comment

Write a comment & tell me your thoughts!

FOLLOW ME ON INSTAGRAM

© FISHMEATDIE. Made by SoulMuse.